Monday, September 24, 2007

The Way of the Warrior - Justice

Justice is a frightening concept.

If we all got what we deserve, most of us would be dead. I personally don't want what I deserve, I want someone to show me mercy. While we all want justice for other people, we want mercy for ourselves. Isn't that odd... does the phrase "double standard" fit here; no of course not.
The Way of the warrior is a simple one, that is until we do something we *want* to do in lieu of doing our duty. Justice then demands consequences. I don't like consequences when they are laid on me! (Point that thing someplace else!)

This is a very difficult artical to write because I know what I should be doing is making the case that, as a Christian, I know that my Master is absolutely just and in Him there is no shadow of turning. I know that this fact fits hand in glove with the Way of the Warrior. I know that to be unjust is an abomination. There is almost nothing so repulsive than to see someone with authority act abusively.

I know that above all things, I wish I were full of honor and truth, just as any good warrior ought to be. I also know that although sometimes I act this way, sometimes I don't. Justice would dismiss me after one infraction.

Facing what we really are is a painful process. One that I do not enjoy. It is also very liberating. Liberating in the sense of having a burden that is more than I can bear which is slowly crushing me, suddenly lifted off my shoulders. Realizing that I don't have to keep up some facade, I wasn't really fooling anyone anyhow. God knows what I am. He loves me anyway.
I am well convinced that until we come to grips with what we *really* are, we can never appreciate God's forgiveness. How then does the concept of justice fit in with mercy? How can a God that is just ever forgive?

The debt has been paid. If you can hear it...

Justice is not at all in competition with mercy in these terms. Justice is complementary to mercy for the Christian.

My brothers and sisters, be just with yourselves and merciful whenever possible with others.
Yes, that means that you will have a double standard; you will hold yourself to a higher standard than you do others. As warriors, that is right and proper. You are vested with greater power, therefore you have greater responsibility. (Its in the fine print, deal.)

To others, when they transgress or offend you, you will extend the hand of mercy to them you would want extended to you if you were in their position. You will not treat the matter lightly and make it as nothing, rather you will be truthfull to them. You will acknowledge that they wronged you, but you will restore them. You will release them from everything, giving it to God who has released you from so much more. In this, you make yourself as Christ-like as a person can be; if you release them from your heart, releasing even the anger and pain that you felt left you by your brother or sister.

You will trust that God will set all things right, you will place this situation into the hands of Him that judges perfectly. He will do right, He will do what you cannot. Somehow in all that, He will also do what is merciful.

Justice is good. It must be tempered though. The more powerful someone becomes, the more they must be ruled by justice tempered with mercy. God's law is just, but it also provides a way to restore the transgressor. The ultimate restoritive act happened when God put the penelty of our sin upon Jesus who knew no sin.

My students, my friends, I love you all. I want you to be free of bitterness and resentment. I tell you these things, not so that you will be on the path of a true warrior, but so you will not suffer the burden of holding onto the hurts that this world will heap upon you. Insodoing, you will be warriors. The very finest. You will have first conquered your own self. You will have slain your own faults, your own shortcomings.

Your enemy is then of little consequence.

Sensei Jeff Vincent

No comments: